You are currently viewing 10 Interesting Facts About The Internet

10 Interesting Facts About The Internet

10 Interesting Facts About The Internet

Written by: Curt Stelter

The Internet is one of the greatest inventions of the modern era. It can be used for many purposes and has evolved quickly over the past 20 years. Things that took minutes or hours to load now take fractions of a second. There are many internet facts about the Internet.

  1. 30,000 websites are hacked every day. Cyber criminals use software programs that can automatically detect vulnerable websites.
  2. The first website is still active.
  3. Every 60 seconds, 72 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube.
  4. The first webcam was created by the University of Cambridge to check if a coffee pot was empty.
  5. We now spend more time browsing the web on mobile devices than desktop computers.
  6. The first search engine was called Archie Query Form. Now Google is the world’s most popular search engine.
  7. There are more than one billion websites on the Internet.
  8. The first e-mail was sent by Ray Tomlinson in 1971. Ray created the @ symbol.
  9. Twitter was originally known as Twttr.
  10. Only 49% of all Internet traffic is fake. The other 51% is composed of bots and malware.

The Internet has come a long way since the days of 10 free hours of AOL on floppy disks. We hope you enjoyed some of these fun and interesting facts.

For more information about Frontier Internet Services, please visit us at